Looking Into the Distance… Hope for Bahrain?

This photo was taken the weekend before last.  I was holding two year-old Tameem’s hand and looking at the Manama skyline.

As I look at the photo I find myself wondering about the future of this country. I find myself hoping and praying.

I want him to grow up in a hate-free Bahrain.  I want him to grow up – and grow old – in a society free of sectarianism, violence and polarisation.

I want him to grow up in a country whose foundation is based on love, compassion, mutual trust and understanding.  I want him and his siblings – and all the children of Bahrain – to know how to forgive and consider our differences a strength, not a source of conflict.

I want their tolerant, compassionate Bahrain to be a beacon for other countries to follow.  I want him and his generation to talk about the lessons they learnt from the 2011 crisis, and how it laid the foundation for further reforms, that made Bahrain stronger and better than it ever was.

Can it be done?  Yes, if we all believe, and if we all stop hating and if we all work on it together.  There’s a lot of work to be done, but with God’s grace we’ll overcome the pain, and rebuild this magical island into one of the greatest nation’s on earth.

6 Responses to Looking Into the Distance… Hope for Bahrain?

1. Manal R. Alzayani 25 April 2011 at 7:24 am #

Dear Suhail,

It gives me hope to hear the voice of reason thru your articles. People have lately lost their moral compass and are on a witch hunt. Every one is under a huge question mark; all it takes is one person accusing and the rest take it as confirmed information without checking or questioning,ready to boycott and sha7walleh!
    I am fed up with all the hate messages that are revealing an ugly side of Bahrainis that I never knew existed. It is shameful that our children are being exposed to all this ugliness and we can’t put an end to it for we will be labeled as traitors if we even try!

2. Isa 25 April 2011 at 9:40 am #

Politics aside.

Thank you for these beautiful words that we hear in private but seldom in public.

Best wishes for all of Bahrain’s people,

Isa

3. Halailola 25 April 2011 at 12:25 pm #

The 2011 crisis “laid the foundation for further reform.”
    Interesting and contradicting to your previous posts! You do realize that by saying that, you acknowledge that it’s the Feb 14 youth that brought possible reforms to this country as opposed to you giving full credit to the leadership for all past and future reforms (in previous posts) Thanks for admitting.

Politics aside, I hope your son grows up to become what you want him to be and I’m sure he will because he has a great father.

4. Suhail 25 April 2011 at 9:32 pm #

Thank you all for your comments and kind works. God willing we can all contribute to the rebuilding process.

Halailola, a quick comment if I may. I’m not sure how I contradicted myself, I echo His Majesty’s sentiments when he said in the Washington Times “… There is no doubt that grievances about civil and political rights for all Bahrainis are legitimate.” Personally I’m all for reform, but against:

– Snubbing of peace and dialogue offers.
    – Violent protests.
    – Calling for the death of the ruling family (or any family for that matter)
    – Regime change and revolution.
    – Fitna [social discord, upheaval and chaos]

I hope this clarifies things from my perspective.

5. Halailola 25 April 2011 at 10:02 pm #

Thank you Suhail. You and I are on the same boat in terms of things that we are for and against. I believe that BTV is the main cause of Fitna in this country (you might disagree). I just hope the Kings letter is honest (unlike past empty promises) and it wasn’t only a propaganda bribe to the American masses like some political analysts suggest.

The contradiction I am talking about is how you gave full credit for all political changes (National charter) to the king (2001) and totally disregarded the Bahraini people’s struggle in the 90s. I hope you don’t do the same this time (if any political changes come to place). I am not saying that the King doesn’t deserve any credit at all. Im just saying that the people (and thats including the Al-Fateh clan) deserve most of the credit.

P.S. Does your son practice martial arts? I need to know so that I stay away from him :p

6. samar 26 April 2011 at 8:31 am #

hey suhail , how are you
    so i was thinking since summer holiday is close
    and i thought of making some badges , t-shirts …
    but then i was like ” alot of people are doing this, i need something new ” so do you have any ideas ?? or any places that alow 18- years old to volenteer ??