Why I'm Selling Zen-Do

For those of you who’ve been following me for some time, this will come as quite a shock.  I have to tell you, it took me a long time to make piece with this decision, I did not make it lightly.  Let me share the letter I gave to all our students:

———

Dear parents and students,

I have some very difficult news to share with you.

After much soul searching and agonising deliberation, I have decided to sell Zen-Do.  I know this will come as a shock to most of you, but with all the new responsibilities that I now have since my father passed away, I cannot give Zen-Do the attention it deserves and needs.  I barely have enough time to make it to the instructor training sessions.  I feel I am constantly struggling to balance all my responsibilities, and if I don’t let one of them go, I’ll end up doing nothing properly.

This was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make in my life, and it took me a long time to decide.  And it took a while to make peace with myself after I’ve made the decision, but I know it’s for the best.  I’m sorry to let you all down.
I’m not even sure if another martial artist would be interested in buying the school, but if so, it would have to be someone I know will take good care of our students. If anyone is interested in purchasing Zen-Do please get in touch.  The price will vary significantly on what is bought (just the location vs. the name, the systems, manual etc.)

If a suitable buyer for Zen-Do is not found, then Zen-Do will be closed.  As far as timing is concerned, everything will stay as normal until Master Rafael comes for the Black Belt grading, tentatively slated for early March.
Of course anyone wishing to stop their membership they will be able to do so.  Alternatively, their membership can be transferred to the DreamBody Centre .
There are obviously a lot of details that need to be sorted out over the coming weeks.  We’ll keep you posted on developments.

I’m Sorry…

I want to offer my deepest apologies to everyone.  For those who’ve been with us for a long time, I know how difficult this must be for you.  Believe me this was not a decision I took lightly.  When I told my children they cried and it took me a while to console them.  But I’ve been thrust into a new role in my life with new responsibilities, and I have to give those responsibilities the attention they deserve.  I never planned for this to happen.  I thought Zen-Do would last for ever and that we’d take over the world.  This was probably the most difficult decision I ever had to make.
I’d like to also apologise to the students who joined recently, I know how frustrating it must be to join a place and then find out it’s being sold or possibly even closed.  As I said, I never planned for this.

We will now work on refund and DBC transfer procedures (for those interested), and we’ll announce this as soon as we have a mechanism in place.  In the meantime, all students are welcome to continue training if they wish.  Like I said, nothing will change until the March grading.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and for your understanding.
Kind regards,

Sensei Suhail G. Algosaibi
——–

To be honest I don’t have much else to say about it.  I have thought long and hard about it, and I know this is the right thing to do.

Thanks for reading and talk to you soon.

15 Responses to Why I'm Selling Zen-Do

1. Mohammed Shahid 26 January 2011 at 11:07 pm #

Dear Mr. Suhail,
    You barely know me, but on the other hand I took you as a role model ever since I read about a job opening at your organization, I have dreamed of working with you. I have almost read all about you and the organizations you manage, your management style, friendly character, positive vision and the most important, transforming people’s lives, developing their self-esteem and confidence, providing the ability to defend themselves when in need & reshaping citizens to be good members of the society. You have been a leader for me and many others.
    But then how can you do this? People admire you, people have faith in you, they trust you, they come to you, they send their kids to you, so that one day they become like you. How can you do this? Training and teaching is an ongoing process, how can a teacher retire? You encouraged people to be more organized and healthy, how can you turn your back on your own words?
    Keep hope and faith, things can be worked out, please don’t give up, take more time, discuss it with friends and colleagues, I am sure there is a better way than selling or closing Zen-Do. But if you still want to give up, consider this to be my last communication. ( I know you don’t care because you never replied to my emails but still remember there is soul out there which took you as a role model, as a teacher, and now that soul has lost all trust in role models).

• Suhail 27 January 2011 at 12:43 am #

Some quick points Mohammed:

– I’m not “giving up” and I’m not “turning my back on my own words.” I always advocated knowing your own limitations and not sacrificing yourself for others. If I keep Zen-Do I will sacrifice my other obligations. This was the least of all evils, as it were. I have a lot going on that I don’t wish to talk about publicly.

– No, teachers can “retire” if they so wish. As for me, I will always consider myself a teacher and educator, I will just not be doing so through Zen-Do.

– I believe when God puts you in difficult situations, you have to make a decision. And you have to do what is right for you and your family, regardless of what others say or how they might judge you; like you are doing.

– My “hope and faith” are strong. I have made this difficult decision because I have unwavering faith in the Almighty’s wisdom.

– FYI, most emails that are sent to me on my public email never reach me. It’s not that I don’t care, but I just do not have the time and energy to reply to everyone who wishes to communicate with me. I always advocate strong self-discipline and good time management; I cannot make myself available to everyone who wants to communicate with me, otherwise I’d get very little done.

– My own parting words for you, considering I’m someone you once admired: it’s very sad that you’ve lost “all trust” in role models because of a personal decision I had to make. Don’t be so sensitive! We all have to make difficult decisions in our lives. I’m not the first nor the last person who’s made such decisions. Trust me guy you’ll have a miserable life if you’ll get so distraught every time someone you admire makes a decision you don’t like.

Good luck to you.

2. Mohammed Shahid 27 January 2011 at 12:55 am #

Thanks and good luck to you too.

3. Osman Safdar 27 January 2011 at 3:18 am #

Hello sensei..

This is a sad news indeed. I hope anyone who buys Zen-Do will be as genuine and a person of high character as you are. I think what you did is natural for someone to be in your position. But nevertheless…

I will miss Zen-Do even though I’ve never been a member.

May the blessings of Almighty be with you.

Regards,
    Osman

4. Osman Safdar 27 January 2011 at 3:20 am #

Sorry, mistyped a sentence in my last comment!

*I think what you did is natural for someone in your position.

• Suhail 27 January 2011 at 3:31 am #

Thanks Osman 🙂

5. Alia Almoayed 27 January 2011 at 3:59 am #

I think your best is yet to come. To bigger and better inshallah. And you will certainly continue to be enhancing people’s lives.

6. Sonja 27 January 2011 at 6:06 am #

I think your wife is right. You have created Zen-Do as your personal milestone. Now there are new milestones. Life is fluid it constantly changes and if you are not willing to change with it, it will change regardlessly. Not a lot of people understand and are willing to change and start something new. Good for you! Everything happens for a reason. Good luck on your new venture.

• Suhail 27 January 2011 at 7:10 am #

Danke Sonja 🙂

7. Jshassan 27 January 2011 at 8:33 am #

So sorry, Suhail. I know how much time, energy and passion you have devoted to the creation and success of the business. But if anyone knows the importance of maintaining balance, surely it must be the Zen-do master? Insha’Allah khayr. Best, J

8. Mohammed Shahid 27 January 2011 at 8:53 pm #

I apologize for my yesterday’s behavior, it just came to me as a shock, I am sorry for it. It took me a while to reach at this simple point that when you love something you need to put in time for it to grow and prosper, but if you are not able to do that, you might ruin it. Not doing it is better than spoiling it. If a situation occurs it’s best to postpone it or hand it over to someone who would care. What you are thinking and are about to do is right, I am sure it will be in positive interests of all. I wish you best of luck.

9. Hamad Alfadhel 18 February 2011 at 7:22 am #

Dear Sensai I don’t know what to say except that I shall miss training and sparring with you. thanks for all the time and effort you have invested in me and other students and helped us develop not only as martial artist but also as people i personally learned a lot and gained a lot no matter where i go from here i will always belong to zen-do Bahrain where i used to spend the best hours of training in my life. I wish you all the best and good luck with everything alse it was a pleasure training with you sir.
    Hamad Alfadhel Zen-do Black Belt.

• Suhail 18 February 2011 at 7:35 am #

Thanks Hamad. I feel the same. It was a pleasure teaching you. Zen-Do touched my life too, and many others. Thank you for havingbeen part of it.

1. Update: Zen-Do to be closed. | Suhail Algosaibi’s Radical Dojo - 15 February 2011

[…] wrote a blog post a couple of weeks ago announcing that Zen-Do is for sale – assuming a buyer would be found.  […]

2. Video Highlights of The Last-Ever Zen-Do Black Belts Tests | Suhail Algosaibi’s Radical Dojo - 21 March 2011

[…] here then here for explanations of why Zen-Do is closing.  You can see the photos for the gradings […]