A Radical Education Paradigm Shift

The day before yesterday I was hosting a mentorship dinner table for Global Entrepreneurship Week, and one of the questions I got from a participant was about education.  I admit, my views on education are a bit extreme, because I think – formal – education as a factor of success is extremely overrated.  I explained my point of view to the participants at the table as best I could.

You can read my opinion on formal education on a blog post I wrote a year and a half ago here (I highly recommend that you do)  Anyway, this morning, when I scrolled through my Facebook newsfeed I saw a great video that talks about the need to have a paradigm shift with regards to education.  It’s by Sir Ken Robinson.  I really enjoyed watching it, and I thought you might too.  It’s very interesting and entertaining, and great food for thought.

Let me know what you think!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

6 Responses to A Radical Education Paradigm Shift

1. Osman Safdar 23 November 2010 at 8:34 am #

Very interesting video…. and interesting blog post too. On the level of paradigm shift, I do agree there are flaws in the current educational system. As you wrote in the other post, you don’t need a degree to become a billionaire. But the thing is… third world countries where literacy rates are very low aren’t flourishing with successful business men and entrepreneurs either.

So maybe the balance point would be to train the teachers to be better teachers, while gradually bringing a radical paradigm shift in education. But wait a second, how can a radical shift be brought gradually?! 😀

2. King 23 November 2010 at 10:21 am #

Thanks for sharing this! I also agree…I loved school and learning at an early age. Then as I got older, I stopped liking school. I found it to be a contradiction to learning!

3. Ali 23 November 2010 at 2:21 pm #

This video is amazing and creative. I do believe that we are losing a lot especially in Saudi Arabia because we are far, far away from getting this right, unlike some developed countries which have fixable method of teaching. For instance, here in New Zealand where I’m studying there are different means of learning. Students have the ability to argue and express their simple and sometimes silly opinions freely. Meanwhile, in the country that I came from simply you don’t have the right to do so.I recall an incident when I tried to say something dissimilar of what the teacher was trying to deliver, and got punished for my attempt only. Therefore, in such environment you won’t see any differences that enhance our thinking life. Up to now, some people still think that if you tried to think out of the box and invent something you will be jailed and won’t see the light of the Sun any more. Also, hopeless people are still sewing stories about individuals who had given it a try and never seen on the surface of the land. These misconceptions and many other are true because and still happening because of methods of teaching that we are applying everywhere, whether in schools, universities or work. At the moment, friends of mine who are having their children studying at local schools here in NZ are afraid of getting their children back to Saudi due to enormous shift in the method of teaching that would disable creativity, sharing of ideas and knowledge whereas the source of information is dominated by teachers and teachers only. Verily, we are wasting our time by reviewing books and not examining whether we need to change the method of teaching or not.. thanks for sharing bro 🙂

• Suhail 23 November 2010 at 9:47 pm #

Yeah, I remember I had a hard time adapting from Bahrain University to a UK university. Often times, there was no “right answer”, you just had give your opinion and just “discuss” a topic. It really frustrated me that the lecturer would not give us the “right” answer, as I was used to all my life. I fear we are decades behind here in the middle east.

4. Osman Safdar 27 November 2010 at 9:46 am #

Hi there again! I was wondering if you can recommend me a good book which outlines the problems of current educational system. That would be great. Thanks

• Suhail 27 November 2010 at 11:06 pm #

I actually don’t know any in this field. Sorry.