How to Deal with People Who are Spiritually at The Level of Insects

Insect

Sometime in the early 2000’s (I can’t pinpoint the exact date) I started on a serious journey of self-improvement.  I read (and continue to read) lots of self-development books, as well as attend seminars and listen to audio programmes.

This was followed a couple of years later by a serious attempt at improving my spirituality and my consciousness.  You could say that I started out on an attempted path to enlightenment (you can see some musings on this path here and here.  I planned to write much more about this topic then I actually did.  Consider this blog post as part of these musings. Make sure to also listen to my Krazy Kevin interviews, which cover a lot of spiritual topics.)

I also started reading more religious books.  I wanted to gain a deeper understanding of my religion – not the superficial one that most people seem to have.  This religious reading usually intensifies in Ramadan, which it will again this month.

Anyway, one of the ironic challenges that I had (and continue to have to some degree) is that as my consciousness improves, I have less tolerance for people who are a million miles behind in their level of thinking, and their view of the world.  People who are mere insects on the spiritual evolutionary scale.  People who have victim mentalities and loser-type thinking.  I just want to get away from them, and have at least conversation with them as possible.

But of course this is not easy, as people like that are all around us, and we cannot avoid contact with them.  They can be be friends, business associates, colleagues, or even family members.  I have to admit I was not sure on how to deal with the spiritual insects, and also slightly puzzled by my lack of patience for them.  As my consciousness and spirituality improves, shouldn’t I have more tolerance for them?  Did my consciousness reduce rather than increase?

This was one of the topics I wanted to discuss with spiritual guru and author Dr. Joe Vitale, when I attended his Awakened Millionaire Weekend last year.  At one point during the seminar he asked if anyone had any questions they wanted to ask, or topics they wanted to discuss, so I brought up the subject.

His reply was very interesting.

He told me that the first thing I had to do was to lead by example.  Whenever I met a person who was a spiritual insect I still should lead by example, and do and say the right things regardless of what the other person was doing or saying.  This made a lot of sense, and I guess to a certain degree is common sense, but I appreciated the reminder nonetheless.

The second thing he said was a bit more profound.  He told me “The second thing you should realise is that they a mirror of you.”  Wow! I thought, that’s interesting!

It’s something similar to what I heard Deepak Chopra say when he came to Bahrain.  We attract our mirror images sometimes.  The way I see it, because I had a lack of patience and tolerance for the spiritual insects I attracted people who are impatient and intolerant and got on my nerves!  It’s my own fault!

The basic tenant of the law of attraction is that we attract what we think about the most.  Though this was not what I was thinking about the most – not even a lot to be honest, but I think I was attracting my mirror image to be taught a lesson in acceptance and tolerance.  The more tolerant I become (even with intellectual/spiritual insects) the less I attract intolerant people.  Something to think about.

So my friend, make sure to have a handle on your thoughts, especially the negative ones.

Having said that, I want to end this post with another thought; don’t hesitate to fire people from your life that are not adding value.  Look, if you have a cousin or in-law for example that is a spiritual insect, there’s not much you can do about than to work on yourself and hope for the best.  Perhaps also try to minimise contact with this person as much as possible.

But if this person is an acquaintance or ‘friend’, dump them.  Remember you can’t choose your family but you can choose your friends.  I’ve done it over the years where I’ve stopped associating with people because I found them way too negative, and their thinking way too limited.  I try to do this on a regular basis, cut out the losers out of my life as much as possible – all the while working on myself.

Hope you found this useful.

Talk to you soon.

14 Responses to How to Deal with People Who are Spiritually at The Level of Insects

1. Alia Almoayed 9 August 2010 at 2:29 am #

good insights… 🙂

2. Gabriel 9 August 2010 at 2:47 am #

I find the ‘dump them’ idea a bit harsh. Would you pray for them?
    If I was gifted, I think I’d tend to be selfish too but I fear if that would have a negative impact.
    I learnt that distributing your wealth increases it, the currency may vary and the return is based on the intensity of intention.
    I really admire your work & I pray for your success.

3. Fareeba Amiri 9 August 2010 at 2:50 am #

Thank you Suhail, your advice is appreciated eminently. It is a very interesting topic, i live in Hamad Town and I have to deal with these kind of people even when I am driving. I find that the more higher my standards get, the lower people seem to get, I can’t figure whether its their jealousy or just their depressed outlook on life.

4. Abeer Al Matooq 9 August 2010 at 2:53 am #

a very good artical Suhail , and i agree with every word !!
    and yes, i strated sometime back pulling myself away from any sorrounding of nagative people and although a get Criticized for that becouse that means that i should stay away from the most useless social gatherings !!! but i am happy as all wah matters is my peace of mind 🙂

5. Malcolm Harris 9 August 2010 at 4:08 am #

Dear Suhail

I’ve been attending Dream Body Centre for just over 5 weeks now and thoroughly enjoying it – thank you for setting this programme up and congratulations for marketing it so well.

In response to your article, there are aspects which may deserve some reflection.

I read your linked piece about the Awakened Millionaire program and note that you found Dr Joe Vitale to be one of the most humble people you have met. This alone merits thought and reflection. I have found that remarkably successful people, be they in commerce, spirituality or life in general are often the most genuinely humble about their station. This is not false modesty, simply a self-acknowledgement of their place in the universe and a lack of pride.

By categorising part of the population with such a negative and loaded phrase as ‘spiritual insects’ who are ‘a million miles behind you’, you reveal less about those certain people and more about your own level of acceptance of the whole of creation, which by its nature is perfect, whole and complete.

The question here, then, is not one of tolerance, which implies you are ‘putting up’ with others’ degree of enlightenment, but one of acceptance.

We live in a world that is paradoxically defined by opposites – North-South, Yin and Yang, Hot-Cold etc, yet is at the same time whole and inter-connected.

Thus, there will always be people who are weaker and stronger than you, richer or poorer, more or less awakened. Your judgment of them and irritation by them merely serves to give more power to the idea/negative perception and this cannot serve you.

The old saying that ‘it takes one to know one’ is never more true than here. You may not be focusing on intolerance, but so long as it remains a part of who you are, so you will maintain heightened awareness of this characteristic in others, or indeed any other trait that you feel is negative or limiting.

Once you let go of this ‘attachment’ of being further ahead or behind or any other yardstick, so you will find peace and acceptance of the world as it is as opposed to how you would prefer it to be.

With love and peace,

Malcolm Harris

• Suhail 9 August 2010 at 4:27 am #

Very thought provoking and insightful Malcom, thank you. And thanks for being part of the DBC family.

6. Khalid 9 August 2010 at 4:11 am #

Dear Suhail, I’ve enjoyed reading this blog. I myself am a seeker as well. You couldn’t have described them better “Spiritual insects.” They are all over the place, and get on my nerves too… Thanks for sharing the insight…

7. Amna AlAmer 9 August 2010 at 1:24 pm #

I agree,, i do attract what i think about, yet i delete all people with negative energies in my life if not i stay as far as possible with the least contact. over the past few years it’s been the best method ever!!

8. Bader Almoayed 10 August 2010 at 1:39 am #

I just read ‘healing and recovery; by david hawkins and lets just say i’m not where i want to be ‘consciousness-wise’. The reading did help me change the way i think though, so thats a plus. Most people are engulfed by their mind so much that they forget everything thats going on around them. True consciousness can only be achieved from within. The person has to want it. Anyways,
    more to your point, about ‘spiritual insects’ ( dont know if i would call them that), more like pre-consciousness people. I would distance myself from them if i thought that they had no interest whatsoever in self-improvement. I have a long long way to go, but the first step is realizing exactly that.

Great blog suhail.

• Suhail 10 August 2010 at 1:58 am #

Thanks for the comment and for passing by Bader 🙂

9. Hana 12 August 2010 at 1:08 am #

Dear Suhail I would not agree with you in calling these people ‘spiritual insects” I would call them ignorants.We all come to this earth to heal that part of our souls that need healing.If we are perfect we would not be here in this life ! some people they become aware of their real purpose in this life & others may just forget why they are here in this life at this moment ! they are ignorants at this moment & may be at later stage they won’t ! the key is acceptence & tolerance,if you think you are above them you are mirroring them & attracting them to your life but when you are humble from deep inside you will find it amazing that you attract spiritual people always to your life !! though the universe may from time to time put challenges in front of you to test your awarenness & how would you relate to all spirituals or ignorants.

10. Eman 13 August 2010 at 2:23 am #

I can’t see how can calling people “insects” make you any better than them?? If there’s one thing that we’re to learn from this life, other people, our parents, and our religion is to never ever think of ourselves as more superior than others. You may have a more positive way of thinking and you may have read more books than others and I highly respect that and salute you for it but calling others “insects”?? so they may have a negative view of life more than you do and they may be ignorants, maybe it’s their upbringing that shaped their mentality this way or maybe it’s their experiences in life, who cares?? If you’re to think of yourself as the “human” and the “positive thinker” in all this shouldn’t you like try to help them be more positive?? talk sense into their heads?? or at least pray for them?? rather then seeing yourself as the man whose “a million years ahead” and the “super-spiritual human” who shouldn’t mingle with them? isn’t that negative of you? I don’t see how calling them that and hiding yourself away from them make you positive? I don’t get it, sorry!!!!

please don’t be offended,
    ramadhan kareem..

11. Maher Amrad 19 August 2010 at 4:03 am #

no one is perfect and as Eman said: You should not call them “insects” any way.

i was expecting something deeper than this ego thinking.

Thanks

1. Nine Radical Time Management Secrets | Suhail Algosaibi’s Radical Dojo - 13 August 2010

[…] But there are much more dangerous time vampires out there, the really emotionally draining and energy sucking types.  Ask yourself, do you really need them in your life.  Or at the very least, can you minimise the time interacted with them.  It’s okay to fire people from your life you know. (On a slightly related topic, see my controversial “spiritual insects” blog post here.) […]