Do You Believe in UFO's?

UFO

This is an unusual topic for me to discuss on my blog.  But I have some thoughts on this topic, so why not share them with you, right?

I guess I’m a bit of a fence sitter on this one.  For me, this question – do you believe in UFO’s – can be divided into two distinct topics; the first is the existence of life on other planets, and the second is whether intelligent life from other planets is visiting us.

When I was a child, I remember that the main stream thought seemed to be that life does not/cannot exist on other planets.  A rather arrogant way of thinking I think.  But according to the astronomy documentaries I watch these days (I love the History Channel) the current thinking seems to be that life does exist on other planets.  In fact there is a famous astronomer – whose name, sadly, I cannot recall – who did a mathematical formula on the likelihood of life on other plants.  I don’t remember the exact number, but the chances are that there are millions of planets in the universe that are likely to have life on them.  And intelligent life at that too.

I agree with that notion.  I find it hard to believe that we are the ONLY planet in the vast universe that has life on it – how “intelligent” we are is another matter entirely.  I think there are other planets with anything from very primitive life to complex, intelligent life.

Okay, now to the second topic.  Do I believe in UFO’s?  Well, yes, sort of.  I think there are a lot of Unidentified Flying Objects that have perfectly normal explanations, as is often shown after investigation.  However, – and again based on documentaries I watch, not much else – there seem to be a lot of UFO’s that have no normal explanations.  I once saw a documentary about pilots who saw UFO’s.  Apparently, there are lots and lots of incidences where pilots have seen UFO’s.  The programme showed a lot of black box recordings and interviews with pilots.

There seems to be many other sources of evidence (and please note, I said “evidence” not proof) that UFO’s, and alien visitations, exist.  One of them is eye-witness accounts, of which there are probably hundreds of thousands.  Of course I have no doubt that a a lot of them, if not most, are not true, but maybe some of them are, who knows?  They can’t all be lying, confused, or delusional, right?

Another source of evidence is historical accounts and records.  These days I’m watching a documentary series called Ancient Aliens, which I find just fascinating.  The series is based on a book written in the 1960’s called Chariots of the Gods, by Erich von Däniken.

Basically, It involves the hypothesis that the “technologies and religions  of many ancient civilizations were given to them by space travelers who were welcomed as gods.”  I’m not saying that this hypothesis is correct, but it is certainly very intriguing.  The series (I haven’t read the book) talks about ancient texts from around the world that have descriptions of creatures coming from the stars, whose portrayal, and more importantly drawings, are eerily similar to modern day astronauts.  Here are some of points raised from the series that I can remember:

– Giant drawings of animals and other beings that can only be seen from the sky, thousands of years old.

– Christopher Columbus’ logs describing something emerging from the water and then flying off into the sky.

– Medieval drawings of flying objects that look like flying saucers.

– Ancient drawings of machines that look like planes, and when reconstructed actually fly!

– Ancient maps that show Antarctica in detail before it was actually discovered!

– Drawings and sculptures of Gods that look like people in space suits.

– Carvings, drawings and texts of ancient battles that sound very much like modern warfare using nuclear weapons.

That’s what I can remember of the top of my head.  I’m not saying that any of this is absolutely true, as Erich von Däniken has been largely discredited by the scientific community, but it is certainly fascinating, and worth keeping an open mind about.

So do I believe in UFO’s?  I’m sitting on the fence on this one, with a slight tilt towards “yes”.

Would love to hear your opinion on this.

Talk to you soon.

17 Responses to Do You Believe in UFO's?

1. Sani 19 June 2010 at 2:28 am #

Last Saturday…I saw this movie.Its called “The 4th kind” and after seeing it i hope they don’t exist :S Half the people literally walked out the cinema hall after the first freaky scene.Anyways coming back to the topic.I think you can believe what you want to believe.There have been a lot of reports of people seeing saucers and lights in the sky.And then there have also been lots of reports with people faking videos and pictures of such things just to gain 4 minutes of fame.For now I’m going to believe that they might exist but just like they say about Ghosts.You just have to see one to believe in one 😉

2. Abdulla Ahmed 19 June 2010 at 2:32 am #

Hi Mr Sohail, I too a intrested on this topic i have chekd many many websited tht could help find any evedence or some realy fact tht the aliens have existed , but some times its hard to belive aswell cuz on tv they show people being abducted by aliens and droped back to the same place and all these abductions r only taken place in america.yes there is a true chance tht the alines do exist but as per date what we have seen is only flashing lights in the sky or some pilot saying his tale.

3. Eman 19 June 2010 at 2:45 am #

Good day 🙂
    I was so glad to finally find someone who shares the same ideas with me!! Not until long ago i didn’t believe in life on other planets but Discovery Channel was really convincing. As you said there are thousands of millions of planets out there so we can’t be the only ones.
    I also remember watching a part of the documentary you mentioned but you obviously haven’t watched the part where they proved everything wrong!!!!!!!! the Egyptian drawings of what seemed to be an airplane and people in astronaut suites were somehow re-constructed and found out to be completely different – can’t exactly recall what they were though- and Columbus’s journals were proved also proved to be something else – can’t remember what too! – and the same thing for the other drawings and documents but it still doesn’t make us the only living creatures in this universe, who knows what’s out there, there might be another planet earth and there might be some ugly big-headed intelligent gooey creatures somewhere or there might be nothing at all..allah a3lam..

looking forward for you reply,
    Eman :):)

4. Zaira 19 June 2010 at 3:41 am #

I recommend you to watch this youtube video about extraterrestrials and the end of times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BaCmEjgSqg

5. Manal 19 June 2010 at 5:47 am #

I will not be surprised if one day we discover worlds other than the one we live in, and other living things with unusual appearance . This is simply because I believe god can create anything anywhere!

6. Zahra 19 June 2010 at 5:59 am #

Hi Sohail!
    I agree with you that it is arrogant to believe we are the only living creatures in the universe. I am sure somewhere in one of the galaxies there are living conditions that allow creatures like us to exist or maybe only under different living conditions. I also think it is equally arrogant to assume these “UFO”s only come to visit us! We aren’t that important! LOL I mean who knows?! Maybe we are the dumbest things that ever lived compared to them.
    I think the astronomer you are talking about is Carl Sagan? but i am not sure! But he made a lot of documentaries about planets and space and the series was called “Cosmos”. Is that who you mean?

Anyhoo, going back to the issue, I have friends (who wouldn’t lie to save themselves) and have seen UFOs. Do aliens exist? Look at me at 5am every morning, and you have your answer!!!

Cheers!

7. Aliya 19 June 2010 at 6:06 am #

So happy to come across someone who shares my views to the t. We are arrogant and presumptious to assume that we are the only living beings in the universe. I have enjoyed Von Daniken’s books all delving into the probability of extraterestrial visitations. He does also question much more (stairway to heaven) but sadly such debates would be considered in bad taste to say the least… I think we face intellectual death if we stop asking and debating and I applaud you for shaking things up and helping towards the prevention of brain atrophy.

8. Suhail 19 June 2010 at 9:41 am #

Thanks for the interesting insights guys! And yes Zahra, the guy’s name was Sagan.

9. Mohamed 19 June 2010 at 11:51 am #

Hello Suhail,

Good change of topic. Like you I am fascinated by this subject. The astronomer you mentioned that did the calculation was Frank Drake (Formula name is Drake’s Equation).
    The key question about life on other planets is the availability of water. There is a general consensus that water is a pre-requsite for life (The Holy Quran also states the same). That is what makes our planet unique. We are close enough to the sun that our water stays liquid, yet not close enough for it to boil off. While other planets have been discovered, today’s instruments are not strong enough to verify if any of them have these characteristics.
    Scientifically, I would find it hard to believe that we are alone in this vast universe. I wouldn’t be surprised however, that God has created this vast universe with only life on planet earth to show us how tiny and insignificant we are.

10. Ahmed 20 June 2010 at 1:34 am #

well i’m not that much with UFO”s but when i read the topic it seemed intresting, sometimes i think about it that there is people on other planets but mmmmm i go back and say to my self forget about it : )

11. Tanya 20 June 2010 at 2:15 am #

I have been interested in this subject for years and certainly believe that UFOs exist, and that there are myriad life forms in the Universe. In many cultures, UFO sightings are accepted as a fact of life and there are many reports of mass sightings in countries such as Russia and Mexico (where they make national news headlines). There is a point somewhere in the high Andes where a road sign actually marks ‘UFO Contact Point’ because sightings there are so numerous. I’m very keen to watch the ‘Ancient Aliens’ series, because since coming to live in Bahrain in 1995 I’ve become interested in the Sumerians of Mesopotamia. Who – or what – were they? Historians don’t seem to know exactly where they came from – they suddenly appeared as a civilization with very advanced technologies. It seems to be a Western (particularly USA) governmental thing to cover up/ridicule stories of UFO sightings. Ask many Americans what they believed really happened at Roswell in 1947 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_UFO_Incident) and you’ll get some interesting answers! I know a small group of people who are convinced they saw UFOs on two consecutive nights off the coast of Bahrain last year.

12. Sergey 20 June 2010 at 6:35 am #

Yeas i do believe in UFO as well as the Predictions of Vanga she was a famous Bulgarian prophetess. Baba Vanga predicted alien “grand event”!

She even predicted 11 September in USA, while she was a live and she actually died 14 years back,
    on August 11, 1996.
    She said the first contact will be in Europe after 200 years.
    Well lets wait and see
    i guess i wont be a live by that time hehe sad 🙁
    or maybe not. 🙂

She predicted allot of things like the bees will be extinct somewhere after couple of years and extinctions of various vegetables and fruits.

Well back to the topic, i have never seen any UFO but from documentary Russian Air Force films they have been mentioning about seeing UFO and facing their Space ships literally. When a UFO stopped a Russian Jet with some sort of Green ray of light.
    There was a man he was a Jet pilot in Russia, he was speaking about it and they where hiding his face and changed his voice because i guess what he was saying was confidential.

There is also a place, Forest in Sebiriya ( Russia) where not a single human or a machine can get in, its some sort of Sociological machine operated by aliens and disturbing brain waves that can make a person go crazy and get lost and come out some where really far away from that place.
    If you really want to know if that is real or no, i guess you have to go and visit that place and yeah if you do, remember you might not even come out from there.

If we really want to know if that is true or no about UFO and some sort of life presents outside of our galaxy or even in our galaxy, all we have to do now is wait 200 years from now.
    Good Luck for those who will be alive at that time. 🙂

• Suhail 20 June 2010 at 6:41 am #

Interesting! Thanks for sharing your views Sergey!

13. Sharif 21 June 2010 at 12:34 am #

Hi Sohail,

like you i sit on the fence on this one, having watched a lot of documentaries on UFO’s and extra terrestrial activities and unexplained phenomenon, I am in somewhat way convinced that life form other than ours do exist, intelligent life form i mean. But Aliens, is a matter of taking it a bit too far. there are unexplained phenonmenons like there were in the past but were duly explained by science, i guess in the future our science will also be able to explain and define the UFOs.

on the other hand, with around hundreds of man made satellites orbiting around earth with thousands of telescopes facing the stars that are light years away… how is it that we do not spot the aliens coming onto earth but the only records are of them only leaving or flying off into space. now thats a thought that makes my mind boggle.

14. Farhana 21 June 2010 at 1:24 am #

Hi,

This really is a fun topic! The Quran describes human beings as the crown creation. So as far as creations go we are the most superior. However, there are obv other creations that are very intelligent & designed to do diferent jobs and live in very different conditions. I believe that there are other life forms on other planets but I can’t put an image to what they would look like or even what to expect… with the exception of plants and water.

15. ZAMZAM 22 June 2010 at 2:22 pm #

HI,
    ITS REALLY FUN BUT THE MAIN PROBLEM IS ME IM NOT THAT MUCH HAITING MY BODY IN FACT I LOVE MY SELF IN SO MANY WAY AND I WANT TO THEROW A KG OF MY WHIGHT BUT NOT BY MACHINES I NEED COUCH OF SPORT LIKE WE CAN SET OUR PROGRAM OF SWIMING, RUNNING ON SAND, JUMPING, FOOTBOLL, CLAIM SOME OF BULDING >>>>> THAT WHAT ITS MAKE ME INTERESTING

16. ATS 1 July 2010 at 3:30 am #

Hi,
    Well its a growing debate all over the world, isnt it. And i am sure we will see a lot more of UFO news and documentaries in days to come. Although i cudnt draw any conclusion in my mind, same like you, but i beleive there is something very fishy. There are a lot of conspiracy theorists and free thinkers, who beleive UFO is a millitary agenda to push the NWO in the near future. I have also seen videos on youtube in which former scientists admit that the U.S millitary and intelligence agencies are 25 years ahead in technology which is released to public.
    Another point i want to make is against the manipulation of the thinking of masses by mass media. It is not a co-incidence that are feeded information about UFO’s and aliens quite often from the 80’s be it steven spielberg movies or james cameroon and numerous other mediums. i still dont conclude the topic. I’d like to share this article which states the subsidiaries of the 5 mega giant companies in media.